Lucille Harrison Howard was born April 20, 1928, to Marion Veronica King Harrison and Charles Dominic Harrison in Annapolis Maryland. She was the 8th child of 9 children. She grew up in Annapolis and graduated from Annapolis High School in June 1948 and in 1951 married a handsome Navy Gunnery Sergeant and Electrician, Carl L. Howard, just back from the war. On November 29, 1952, they were blessed with a daughter and on December 20, 1954, they were blessed with a son. As the children grew, Lucille remained a homemaker, but as they grew, she started branching out into areas which she enjoyed and excelled. To sum it up, she was a leader, a policy maker and in those middle years, she excelled. She was an avid bridge player and avid member of the Republican Party. Her accomplishments are many and are listed below:
1) In the 1980's, Lucille became President of the Citizen's League and a Republican Delegate for District 7 in Florida. She was also a member of the Navy League of the United States and served as Chaplain. She was a member of Brevard County Council of 100. In May 1990, she became the 2nd Vice President for the Cocoa Beach Women's Club. In 1995, she became President of the Cocoa Beach Citizen's League. In 1988, Lucille avidly campaigned for George H. W. Bush, receiving a personal invitation to attend the 1989 Presidential Inauguration and Inaugural Ball in Washington, D.C. which she attended.
2) From 1991-2003, Lucille served as a member of the Florida Silver-Haired Legislature, serving in both the House and Senate and in 2001 she had the honor of becoming the Senate President. She cherished her time with the "Silver-Hairs" and worked with AARP and many other Florida lawmakers, congressmen, and women. She continued to work in the political arena after 2003.
3) In 2004, she continued to campaign for Florida lawmakers and attended the Lincoln Dinner honoring Jeb Bush as Florida's Governor. She was then 75. Over her lifetime, she knew such notable figures as: George H. W. Bush-President of the United States, Howard Futch - Cocoa Beach Mayor and Florida Senator; Jeb Bush, Florida Governor, Jim Smith, Attorney General, Charlie Crist, Florida Governor, Dave Weldon, US Congressman, Mike Haridopolos, Florida Senator, Bill Posey, Florida Senator, Mitch Needleman, Florida Representative, Toni Jennings, Lt, Governor of Florida, Mel Martinez, US Senator, Bill McCallum, US Congressman, John McCain, US Senator, Tom Gallegher, Florida Insurance Commissioner, and Jim Smith, Florida Attorney General.
4) In 2007, she joined the Red Hats and enjoyed every woman she met.
4) In-between her political endeavors, she and Carl loved to travel. In 1970, they took a 2-month trip to China, Japan, Thailand, Bangkok, France, Italy, United Kingdom, Puerto Rico, Buenos Aires, Rio de Janeiro and Costa Rico.
On July 9, 2021, at the age of 93 she succumbed and peacefully left this earth to be with her family in heaven. She was preceded by her husband, Carl L. Howard, who passed away in 2006 and her son, Dr. C, Leslie Howard Jr, DC, PhD who passed away in 2020. She is survived by her daughter, Kyla M. Bryson, CPA.
Lucille wished for a small private family service and we will honor that request. Following the private service, she will be moved to her final resting place with her husband, Carl L. Howard in Bushnell, FL.
In lieu of flowers, it is requested that donations be made on her behalf to the American Heart Association, or the Florida National Cemetery in Bushnell, FL.
" We do not weep but bask in the knowledge of knowing that she lived a very happy and full life. May she rest in peace."
To send flowers to the family or plant a tree in memory of Lucille H. Howard, please visit our floral store.